With VJ Hexler at Ochiai Soup, 2019/09/14.
by Dave Skipper
(Photo by Hexler)
A further physical action live sampling and mangling adventure. Full video below. This time, I recorded some sounds of me doing things to my guitar (a Washburn N2, my first guitar, bought 1995/11/11), and then distorted and destroyed those sounds during the rest of the set. I partnered with Hexler again for his stonking* visuals.
*stonking (adjective), informal British, “used to emphasise something impressive, exciting, or very large.”
Heavier Than Jupiter (HTJ) is the name of a series of noise events I have been running for several years, always at the wonderful venue that is Ochiai Soup, Tokyo. More on HTJ another time. This time around the event spanned two days, and I co-organised with the lovely dudes behind noise acts Like Weeds and Leecher. I have to say that all the other performances were totally top-notch, it was a fantastic weekend!
For me personally it was a special occasion as it was my first gig after emergency surgery three weeks earlier (I have written about that experience here: Intestinal Strangulation and Quantum Noise). Although I turned up at Soup exhausted, all the artists’ awesome noise gave me new energy for the weekend, and I guess I found something in reserve to focus my own performance. I love intensity in noise, and coming through emergency surgery definitely puts things in perspective and instils fresh purpose and intensity to life!
I was REALLY happy with this set, I think it’s a significant improvement in the development and execution of the approach that I have been exploring in my performances in recent months. Hexler’s visuals were an amazing complement to the sounds, hats off sir! As usual, good headphones/speakers recommended… (direct link: https://youtu.be/QGTL28pvFyw)
Eurorack modules used:
- 4ms WAV Recorder
- Befaco InAmp
- Make Noise Morphagene
- Noise Engineering Kith Ruina
- Noise Engineering Seca Ruina
- Noise Engineering Sinc Defero
- Noise Engineering Viol Ruina
- Plankton Electronics ENVF
- Random*Source Resonant Equalizer
- Random*Source Stereo Mixer
- WMD MSCL
- Dave Skipper: sounds
- Rob Fischer aka Hexler: sights
- Aya Irizuki: video camera
- Nobuki Nishiyama: for his usual awesome work as live sound engineer
- Kenny Sanderson (Like Weeds, ex-Facialmess) & Yoshito Nagano (Leecher): for co-organising this 2-day event with me
- Yuhei Fukasawa (P.O.V.): for visiting from Oita and asking me to organise this event for him!
- All the other participating artists (see flier below): for the awesome noise!